THIS EXERCISE REQUIRES FOCUS ON TECHNIQUE AND TIMING. IT GIVES PLAYER’S MUSCLES THE ABILITY TO MOVE QUICKLY ON THE COURT AND EXPLODE WITH POWER WHEN STRIKING THE BALL DURING SERVES.
Equipment: Quick- Release Leash and harness
(This exercise requires two people to complete.)
1. The trainee wears a harness that has a leashed attached to it.
2. The trainer holds the other end with the quick release tab.
3. The trainee sprints a distance with the trainer pulling back providing resistance.
4. After a predetermine distance, the trainer releases the leash and the trainee explodes in to a sprint.
THIS EXERCISES HELPS ATHLETES ACHIEVE THE EXPLOSIVE SPEED NEEDED TO FOLLOW AND REACT TO GAME PLAY.
Equipment: medicine ball, wall
This exercise requires focus on technique and timing. It gives player’s muscles the ability to move quickly on the court and explode with power when striking the ball during serves.
1. Choose a weight that will still allow you to control the ball when thrown.
2. Stand about 2 feet from a wall with a medicine ball of desired weight.
3. Holding the medicine ball above your head, jump straight up. At the peak of the jump, throw the ball at the wall.
4. Use this force to propel yourself back down. Immediately spring back up to catch and throw the ball back up, propelling you down again, in a single motion.
When performing this exercise, you should not sacrifice technique for reps.